Chair auditions for orchestra will be held on Tuesday, October 31 – Tuesday, November 7. The auditions will determine your seat assignments for the upcoming quarter.
Each student will be required to perform selections from the music indicated below as well as the scales listed below. Each student will be evaluated on a scale of 1-10 in each musical element, where 1 is the lowest score and 10 is the highest score. The musical elements to be evaluated are: Technique, Tone, Interpretation, Rhythm, Intonation, Dynamics, and Articulation. Scales will be evaluated on: Notes, Rhythm, and Fingerings (Each scale will be out of a total of 10 points). All auditions will be recorded for the accuracy and educational purposes.
Each student will have their chair audition during their scheduled lesson. If a students takes private lessons they should see Mr. Zettlemoyer to be see which groups they should attend.
If a student missed his or her audition there are a couple options.
- You may come after school
- You may record yourself at home and email it to Mr. Zettlemoyer
- Check with Mr. Zettlemoyer about coming at a different time
ORCHESTRA CHAIR AUDITIONS
All instruments will audition on Silver Bells (measures 8-55) and I’ll Be home for Christmas (beginning- letter D). Percussion will play sections for the pieces they have been assigned.
All instruments will play the Concert G and the Concert D Major scale. Scale sheets are listed below.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR RECORDING AT HOME
- You must play a concert G major scale up and down
- You must play a concert D major scale up and down
- You must play Silver Bells from measure 8 through measure 55. When you get to measure 45 play it as if it were the second time
- You must play from the beginning of I’ll Be Home for Christmas to rehearsal letter D.
- When recording:
- Say your name. Ex. This is Mr. Zettlemoyer
- Say what scale you are playing. Ex. I am playing the G major scale
- Say what piece and part you are playing. Ex. I am playing Silver Bells violin part 2
- Email the recording to Mr. Zettlemoyer with the subject line reading: Q2 Orchestra Chair Audition – Insert your name Ex. Q2 Orchestra Chair Audition – MR. Zettlemoyer
- Mr. Zettlemoyer’s email: email@example.com