Chair auditions for concert band will be held from Monday, November 6 – Friday November 10. The auditions will determine your seat for band during the current quarter.
Each student will be required to perform selections from the music listed below in addition to the scales listed below. Each student will be evaluated on a scale of 1-10 in each musical element, where 1 is the lowest score and 10 is the highest score. The musical elements to be evaluated are: Technique, Tone, Interpretation, Rhythm, Intonation, Dynamics, and Articulation. Scales will be evaluated on: Notes, Rhythm, and Fingerings (Each scale will be out of a total of 15 points). All auditions will be recorded for the accuracy and educational purposes.
Each student will have their chair audition during their scheduled lesson. If a students takes private lessons they should see Mr. Zettlemoyer to be see which groups they should attend.
If a student missed his or her audition there are a couple options.
- You may come after school
- You may record yourself at home and email it to Mr. Zettlemoyer
- Check with Mr. Zettlemoyer about coming at a different time
BAND CHAIR AUDITIONS
All instruments will audition on the 3 march pieces: Our Director, 3 Patriotic Parades, and Valley Forge. The percussion section will also need to play the cadence.
Our Director Recording
3 Patriotic Parades Recording
Valley Forge Recording
INSTRUCTIONS FOR RECORDING AT HOME
- You must play Our Director one time through with no repeats
- You must play 3 Patriotic Parades one time through
- You must play Valley Forge one time through with no repeats. Take all second endings.
- Say your name. Ex. This is Mr. Zettlemoyer
- Say what piece and part you are playing. Ex. I am playing Silver Bells violin part 2
- Email the recording to Mr. Zettlemoyer with the subject line reading: Q2 BandChair Audition – Insert your name Ex. Q2 Band Chair Audition – Mr. Zettlemoyer
- Mr. Zettlemoyer’s email: email@example.com